BPDA board approves Parcel 12 proposal: Where is the permanent Chinatown branch library?

The Chinatown branch library, a two-floor brick building, was once the most important place in the neighborhood, when it was first built in 1896 as a delivery station. It was a place to learn English, to apply for social services, and for children like Stephanie Fan to escape into books. The library experienced several closures and relocations since its opening, but it was a shock for many when it was demolished in 1956 to make way for the construction of the Central Artery. Chinatown would be without a library for more than 60 years, so thoroughly forgotten that many residents … Continue reading